Standard Chartered KL Marathon 2013 exceeds target and clocks a record total of 33,000 runners!
Following overwhelming response, SCKLM 2013’s registrations exceeded its target number of participants within a mere six (6) weeks; which means 12 weeks ahead of the scheduled closing date of 31 May! This is an unprecedented milestone and represents the shortest registration period for the
in its five (5) year history. This year, SCKLM targeted 30,000 runners, but finally
closed at 33,000 participants to accommodate the overwhelming demand.
Statistically, this represents a 17 per cent participant growth from 2012 (at
28,000 runners); and a 144 per cent growth since its first year in 2009 (at
SCKLM 2013 will welcome 33,000 runners on 30 June at Dataran Merdeka
According to Rainer Biemans, Project Director of the Standard Chartered KL Marathon, registrations grew almost overnight given the popularity of the marathon and the momentum it has gained over the years. “We are very encouraged with the response. The success of the Standard Chartered KL Marathon closing registrations within six weeks is due to the support and confidence of the runners in the event. This only goes to show that SCKLM is more than just another running event – it’s a major event in the city of
Lumpur that continues to attract runners from across
and overseas”. Malaysia
“We have always believed in the power of the
brings people together under a common banner for a good cause. Standard
Chartered KL Marathon embodies a nation-building engagement, and continues to
embody this vision year after year, in line with our brand promise to be Here
for good,” said Liz Kamaruddin, Country Head of Corporate Affairs, Standard
A breakdown of the participants per category are as follow: Full Marathon - 4,400 runners; Honda Half Marathon - 6,600 runners; 100 teams (500 runners) – MSIG Ekiden (still open for teams registration); 10 KM – 17,000 runners; 5KM Fun Run – 4,000 runners; Kids Dash - 500 runners.
You can still be a part of Standard Chartered KL Marathon 2013!
While registration for SCKLM 2013 is officially closed, but your support and participation does not end there. You can be part of the
- Signing up for Corporate Challenge – this team category is still available; and helps to raise funds for charity
- Signing up for the MSIG Ekiden – there are still a few team spots left.
- Supporting your friends and others in their Run for a Cause – Pick a charity that you would like to support to and encourage our “Run for a Cause” runners who have pledged their support to raise funds for that charity recipient.
- Being a volunteer – More than 2,000 people are required to help on the big race day and you can be one of them.
- Being a supporter – Join us at Dataran Merdeka on 30 June to add to the overall festivity of the event. Come cheer and support your friends and families during their race!
This nation-building event is made possible by title sponsor Standard Chartered Bank, in partnership with the event owner and organiser, Dirigo Events Sdn Bhd, and co-organiser, Dewan Bandaraya Kuala Lumpur (DBKL) with strong support from the Ministry of Youth and Sports; and gold sponsors MSIG and Honda.
For more information on how to be a part of SCKLM, please visit: www.kl-marathon.com. Also, connect with other runners through the Standard Chartered KL Marathon Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/SCKLmarathon and keep up to date via twitter at www.twitter.com/scklmarathon.